Sunday, March 24, 2013

It's My New Thing: Triathlons

You guys, I competed in a triathlon this weekend.

Whaaaa?!

I know.  It rocked, and I'm totally addicted.

It would have been appropriate to train, but I decided to do the thing 2 days before it occurred.  Don't worry, if it is a choice between swim or drown, you will swim, regardless of what shape you're in.

The competition was indoors, and so it was in reverse order of typical triathlons.  The run and bike were 25 minutes each, with goal distances of 3.1 miles and 12 miles (yeah right on that one).  The swim was 10 minutes with a goal of 16 laps, or 400 m.  I tell you what, after rigorous running and biking for 50 minutes that water was like heaven.  I managed to get 22 laps in the 10 minutes and took first place in my heat for the run.  The bike...well, I have work to do there (beginning with finding a comfortable position on a bike seat).

Growing up, my mom let us make decisions early on.  I remember being shocked in first grade when I discovered my best friend didn't get to pick out the clothes she wore.  Her mom laid them out every night.  I, on the other hand, got to wear whatever I wanted, be it a frilly lace dress or overalls.

Mom often states the common phrase, "Live and let live."  If we had some crazy idea for a profession growing up, she would most likely say, "Go for it!"  She has let us choose to live for a long time, and with it has instilled a deep sense of responsibility for our choices and strong ability in regards to them.

So, ultimately, it's my mom's "fault" that I jumped on a treadmill to compete in something new.

Also, my note to myself, "Remember, you're building your 70-year-old-self now" plays a big part.

Anyway, regardless of upbringing and sentiment and yada yada, this thing was fun.








Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment