Sunday, March 3, 2013

In Perspective--getting personal

We were late to church today because I couldn't get spinach out of my hair.

Yep.

I tried {this} hair smoothie for some va-va-voom, and it totally worked, except for the tiny pieces of spinach everywhere.  (And for future reference or for those of you who try it, I'd still use some styling product on my hair ends before styling.)

Normally, that kind of thing would turn my day over and I'd struggle to recover.  But today I have a lot to be grateful for even beyond a lucky break with my blow drier doing spinach duty.

***

It's been nearly a week since Preston got some blood tests done that came back clean, a week that I've thanked God every day that the love of my life is whole and healthy--because last Sunday, we weren't so sure.

Preston came home from a business trip on a Friday with a rash on both of his hands and a sore throat.  I didn't think the rash was much to worry about, but when it remained in full force on Saturday, Preston sent a picture of his hand to his Uncle Matt who is a pathologist in Provo.  (Oh how thankful I am for Uncle Matt and his compassion that accompanies his extensive knowledge.)

To my surprise, Matt was concerned.

The rash, called Petechia, reflects problems with the blood platelets and the ability to clot.  It can be a sign of a plethora of ills ranging from leukemia to lupus to a heart valve issue.  Though Matt didn't want to worry us, he said the rash was not something to cast aside.  He recommended we sleep through the night and see a doctor by Monday for some blood tests, sooner if the rash spread to Preston's feet and mouth.

Let me tell you, it was a long night.  Preston was pretty freaked out by Matt's concern, and his tension stole my reason.

I began to imagine what it would be like if Preston had cancer or another disease--how our life could change so quickly.  I felt that familiar resolve that I will stick by him no matter the battles, that I would be willing to do anything to make his life beautiful and comfortable if some ill took that from him.

I began to imagine what it would be like if God decided to take the love of my life home.  The despair was unbearable.  All I could imagine was me going with him somehow.

I began to feel regret for the times that I haven't loved Preston enough--when I get frustrated with him for leaving food out, or when I don't laugh hard enough at his jokes, or when I tell him, "Hold on," putting something like an email or a book first when he wants to be silly and play.  I vowed to love him harder.  My heart ached at the thought that I had ruined my chance.

Of course, I hadn't.  But late hours of the night seem to dissipate reason.  We both were prey to that.

By morning, the rash had appeared in Preston's mouth, but things seemed more hopeful with the sun.  Preston spoke with trusted friends and found some peace of mind, and then at another encouragement from Matt went to the doctor on Monday for a blood test.

Thank goodness they found nothing.  It was most likely a virus linked to his sore throat, and it is already going away.

But the experience realigned both of our perspectives, for which I'm grateful.

***

And so today, when I normally would have tugged at my hair and sworn to wear a hat to church, I instead laughed with Preston at how silly my home remedy experiments can be as he held strands of speckled wet hair in his fingers.

And guess what...now he can't stop playing with it  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment