Thursday, June 6, 2013

Chicken Fried--an end of an era

Preston and I went out to lunch today and began planning our 8 weeks left in Cedar City over pulled pork, fried onions, and ice cream.  While we sat reminiscing about summers past and realizing how short 8 weeks really is, the song "Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band came on.

I may have nearly cried.

(But when Preston asked me if I was going to cry, I said no, so that confession stays here.)

That song has a special place in my heart.  It accompanied many happy moments during my freshman year, my roommates and I playing and dancing and singing all of the time.  "Chicken Fried" reminds me of a magical year with the best of friends.

And nearly 5 years later, as the song played, it hit me how quickly these happy days in Cedar City are winding down--with a new, forever roommate, I am now planning for a new city with another beginning.

I could wonder at the adventures we'll have, what new song will bring that sparkle to our life as we venture out, but for now I'm wrapped up in the here and now, in the nostalgia that this song brings.

Enjoy.


(actual song begins around 1:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment