Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fresh, Light, and Cold--the perfect summer dessert

Whenever the weather turns warm, I crave this whipped dessert that my dad used to make.  I'd rush home from school during those warmer days before summer break just to have a piece.

I love it because it is light, fresh, and so versatile. Sometimes I put fruit in it and other times I like it as simple as can be.

The recipe is very basic.  You can manipulate it in so many ways to get what you like.  I usually like a really thick crust, but made a thinner crust this time.


Ingredients:
Butter, melted
Graham Crackers, crushed to fine crumbs
Yogurt (6 oz)--original is best, but low fat works just fine
Cool Whip (8 oz), thawed
Fruit (optional)

Graham cracker crust:
I use about one cube of butter per package of graham crackers.  I used two full packages of graham crackers to fill this 2 qt dish.  Combine crushed grahams with melted butter until moist.  Pack into the bottom of the dish.  (I actually do the mixing right in the dish, so packing it down is easy and it's one less dish to wash.)

Filling:
Combine cool whip and yogurt.
Add fruit.
Spread onto graham cracker crust.  Freeze until it is as frozen as you like it.

Yep.  That easy.

This round, I used key lime pie yogurt and fresh strawberries, but a few of endless other flavoring options are:
key lime, white chocolate, and raspberry
pina colada, grape, and pineapple
strawberry and kiwi

**Note:  This post dedicated specially to those of you withering away in this blasted heat.

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment