Monday, November 18, 2013

{Words}: Potentates

Do you ever get words stuck in your head?

I do.

Sometimes it drives me crazy.  I'll wake up in the morning and think "espionage!" and it will run through my brain all day.  Singing songs does not help.  Thinking other words does not help.  I just get stuck on a word until it has run it's course.

Apparently, as a toddler learning to talk, when I'd hear a new word I'd go isolate myself in a corner and repeat the word over and over until I felt I knew it.  I have no recollection of this, but considering the way I still chew on words, it does not surprise me.

A word that has run a few courses through my head since June is "potentates."  I saw Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost multiple times over the summer while working for the Utah Shakespeare Festival, and as a result got to watch the Spaniard spit out potentates in the same way night after night.

So since it's stuck in my head, I'm going to share and get it stuck in yours.
potentates (n.): a person who possesses great power, as a sovereign, monarch, or ruler.

Happy Monday.  Have a good week!

~K

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you did do that as a child. And unfortunately, I now have just the opposite problem... when I want to think of a particular word, it gets stuck in my cerebral filing cabinet and I just can't get it out !!! Drives me crazy :)
    With potentates, I assume the emphasis is on the 2nd syllable?

    ReplyDelete