Saturday, November 23, 2013

{Dear Martha Anne}: Living in Tornado Alley

Dear Martha Anne,

Well, last Sunday we had a near run-in with a tornado.  Here is what we learned:

It is imperative to keep our bathroom tub sparkling clean at all times in case we find ourselves huddled in it for a good 45 minutes.  We are grateful to ourselves if our cleanliness is in good spirits.
Of the three of us, only one of us will panic.  (Can you guess which one?  Hint: it's not the dog.  See answer below.)
Losing a pair of car keys right before needing to maybe escape a tornado is not a good idea.
The meteorologist, when discussing the progress of the tornado, will say, "There's an app for that."
Starbursts are a good snack during tornado warnings`since they take a long time to chew.
I will spend at least 3 minutes trying to decide which shoes will be my escapee shoes because there is a lot to factor in: how much walking will I be doing?  will it be wet outside?  how cold is it? if I lose everything, which shoes do I want to be my last pair standing? (ha.)
If I swap my spare sweat pants for a pair of jeans in my 72 hour kit, I'll feel more fondly of it.
Sonny Boy is as happy to curl up in the bathtub as he is to curl up on the couch.
We need more emergency water.
Having our spare batteries, matches, and candles in one place that we can access in pitch black is probably a good idea.
Speaking of, our bathroom is REALLY dark when the lights go out.
If we had had to run, I would carry my dog.  There is no way I'm leaving him behind to get lost in munchkin land.
And lastly, we need to check if our renter's insurance covers tornadoes...

All is well for us, which is unfortunately not the case for some neighboring cities.  I hope all is well with you on the home front.

Much Love,

Me

PS - Back home to see you in just one month.  Can't wait!



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were in the tornado path last week! We were just on tornado watch, luckily. Swirling clouds of death are seriously the scariest thing I could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete