Monday, November 4, 2013

{Dear Martha Anne} The Simple Things

Dear Martha Anne,

Awhile back I was at Walmart getting my oil changed and my tires rotated.  Since it would take a bit, I decided to wander to the paint section of the store and collect sample cards and dream of combinations.  I also picked up a roaming kitchen island that we'd ordered online.

When I returned to the Tire Center, a large, linebacker built black man in his early forties helped me out the door and walked me to my car to help lift the huge box from my cart to my trunk.  As we walked together, he said that he would push my cart for me, but there's too much crazy in the world today for him to do so; he didn't want his associates to think anything was suspicious. "It's not safe to be chivalrous no more, " he said.  I told him it was alright, I was grateful for his willingness.

On my drive home, I thought about what he'd said, about there being "too much crazy in the world." There are certainly plenty of opportunities to get disheartened--often in the little every day things.

The other day, I got home from grocery shopping, frustrated about something, and opened my door with full, aching arms.  I was met by an ecstatic dog, jumping around my legs and wagging his tail, barking in excitement.  For a split second I wanted to shove him out of the way, trying to set down my groceries with some order.  Thank goodness I looked into his big brown eyes, sparkling with love for me, and I instead felt so much gratitude for the beautiful things in my life.  I set down my bags at my feet and gave him a good scratch behind the ears.  I hope I never tire of the dog running to the door to greet me.  It means I'm loved.

I hope that next time I overcook my bread, I remember that the last time I did so, I made "lemonade": a delicious and hearty breakfast casserole that the husband passionately approved of.

I hope next time I accidentally sleep in, I appreciate the extra pillow time rather than feeling guilt all day long.  (This one will take some work.)

I hope I never take for granted this time that I have to be "so busy" with everything I want to be busy with.

I hope that nice black man from Walmart knows that I appreciate his help.  That was a heavy box.

And I hope I never grow accustomed to the rich beauty of autumn.  The other night, I didn't make dinner, feeling totally uncreative and unmotivated.  Preston got home from school pretty worn out.  I suggested we order a pizza.  Preston took the reigns from there.  We had a lovely evening eating pizza and strolling Clegg park, a gorgeous property along Wildcat creek.

Enjoy some photos taken of this place where we live.














We hope all is well on the home front and that you had a happy Halloween!

Love,

Me (and Preston and Sonny Boy and Jack O Lantern)


1 comment:

  1. Posted at 5:00 a.m.? funny girl :) "Jack" is very handsome! Too bad you have to live in such a breathtaking place.... guess somebody's gotta do it haha Beautiful pix!

    ReplyDelete