Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cedar City Bucket List

I'm behind on blogging because Preston set up a little "home spa" for me last night, bubble bath and candles included.  He even made a homemade face mask for me, by himself (okay, plus Pinterest).  Sure he wanted some man time to watch baseball, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, summer is peeking around the corner, but rather than feeling a beginning, I've begun to feel a winding down. Summers fly by so fast, and on the departing wings of this one is the end of our time in Utah.

Emotions are mixed.

We are so excited for a new adventure in Indiana--a new geography, culture, time zone--but as I think of it, I begin to recognize what will no longer be at my fingertips: The Fonte Cristo from Little Brick House (ham, turkey, and swiss on sourdough french toast with powdered sugar and strawberry jalapeno jelly, a party in itself).  Playing in the waterfall up coal creek trail.  Snowboarding and eating pizza at Brian Head Resort.  Maggie Moos and its cake batter ice cream with cookie dough and Twix.  "Dragging Main" on the Piaggio.  Garden House cream of corn poblano soup.

Okay, so apparently mostly what I'll miss is food.  But red rock, blue sky, and quiet summer nights have their place in my heart, too.

When I think of these things I love, I feel an anxiousness to partake of them all with more fullness than I ever have before, as if I could enjoy cake batter ice cream even more passionately.

What's more, I remember Cedar City isn't my only home, that I had an entire childhood nestled in the Wasatch Mountains, and that there is food up there that I love, too.  Like cheese raviolis from The Gabor Brothers.  Heaven, I tell you.

So with anxious zeal, and being the list person that I am, I've been developing a mental bucket list of food to eat, sites to visit, and memories to relive--hopefully with people I adore--before we jump states:


  • Complete Zion's Subway hike
  • Stay at the Road Creek Inn (Loa) and play at Capitol Reef
  • Bike Navajo Lake without getting trapped in a hail storm
  • Reach the cave near the C
  • Sample SUU fudge
  • Eat something, anything, at The Grind
  • Get at least one more scalp treatment at Evans'
  • Play ultimate frisbee with the team
  • Camp at Pine Valley
  • Boat at Sand Hollow
  • Have Preston experience the Kaysville 4th of July water parade
  • Attend a live session at the SLC temple
  • Eat endless sushi at Ichiban
  • Get a dog
Okay, that last one might have to wait until we actually move.  And I may be way over my head in trying to get all this stuff in, since we mostly have weekends to work with.  But how awkward would it be if you finished the list mid-way through June?  .....   Let. Down.

Better too much than not enough.

If any of you locals have a place or tradition to add to the list, be my guest!

Here's to living one more summer under Cedar's blue skies, and here's to a future Indiana summer night with fireflies.

~K


PS--Based on suggestions, here are a few more to add to the list:
  • Peter's Leap
  • Silver Reef
  • Pipe Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment