Sunday, September 1, 2013

{Dear Martha Anne} Week One

Dear Martha Anne,

Well, I'm here, and have been for a week now.  I came down with a wicked cold today.  This damp air must be getting to me.

This place is pretty different in many ways.  I've certainly noticed such during my morning runs.  I can't tell if the insane amounts of perspiration on my body are from inside or out.  Though this place is not Caribbean humid, it has thick, heavy, wet air all the same.  A plus to this air is that I don't find myself desperate for water on my long runs; a minus is that I have to wash my hair every morning.  This area has gorgeous trails that wind all around the city, fields, and bogs, opening up miles of running and biking opportunity.  However, unlike in Utah, I have to work longer for a good exercise.  I look forward to any sort of incline I can get while out on the trails.  That is one thing high elevation has going for it: you don't have to get creative to push your body to its limits.

The husband and I were introduced to chiggers this week.  What awful little critters.  I received 17 bites on my feet within 5 minutes.  Bare foot in the grass has not the same appeal here as it did in Utah.  I've also become acquainted with the sound of tree frogs. My word are they loud!  There are so many trees here, and the frogs just fill them up and croak at each other all night long.  The birds here are quite loud, too.  I haven't heard one sing yet.  Just scream.  But boy oh boy are their colors brilliant.  I saw my first cardinal this week.  It's as red in real life as it is in the pictures!  What a beautiful bird.

Sadly, I have yet to see fireflies.

Adjusting to variations in cooking has been interesting.  I used my broiler this week.  It took 12 minutes to get the cheese on my croque monsieur sandwiches to brown.  In Utah, they would have been ash by then.






But overall, the husband and I have really liked our new home.  The people are very friendly.  We've received cookies 7 times in the last two weeks.  And check out the <bounty.  I can't wait to try that caramel apple butter and those pears.  My stomach is definitely going to like it here.











The biggest difference here is that instead of one sweet boy, I now have two.  Meet Sonny.  (Who was at first known as Hank, then Prince Henry, then Tootles, and now Sonny, which finally seems to fit best.)


He is the sweetest thing, and so well behaved.  The only problem we are having with our Sonny Boy is that he loves us so much, he cries and cries at night when we won't let him on our bed and then waits until we are asleep before jumping up to cuddle with us at 2:00 in the morning.  He'll walk right up between our heads and curl into a ball.  And the little thing is so darn cute that its hard to kick him out...

We sure love our Sonny Boy!
And that's the scoop.  Until next week!

Love,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment