Monday, September 9, 2013

{Dear Martha Anne} Believe It or Not, We're Social

Dear Martha Anne,

I think fall will be disappointing in this: the leaves don't crunch.  It is not dry enough here.  Although I doubt I'll lose the habit of stepping out of my way to stomp on a particularly crunchy looking leaf.

Two other observations: 1) I miss the sound of sprinklers and 2) traffic around here is quite bothersome.  It takes so long to get anywhere.

In other news, we have been very social since arriving.

We recently hosted a potluck for the husband's MBA team.  It was quite the cultural experience.  Val from Peru brought a salad with mango, avacado, and jicama.  Jacquelyn from Cincinnati brought banana chocolate chip cookies.  Song from China brought fried rice and spicy fried potatoes.  Ratna from India brought Indian bread and curry (my personal favorite).  And the hubs and I provided Tyson chicken fingers, BBQ sauce, and lemonade.  We know how to represent America.  :)  It was actually all very delicious.  The chicken fingers were a hit, especially with Song.

We recently attended a women's volleyball game with two other couples.  Whoa.  This school knows how to cheer.

Also this week, we attended a birthday party.  I took second place (beaten by the birthday boy) at the Just Dance competition, but since the wife said he couldn't win at his own party, I got the $15 iTunes gift card.  I thought I was done dancing, but all those years of lessons are still paying off.

We also joined one family for dinner one night and another for a movie another night.

For all this socializing, however, we've otherwise been pretty lost in our own worlds.  Preston has been swamped with school.  This last week, as well as the next two, are supposed to be the busiest.  He's been kept busy with interviews for internships, which is a good thing.  I'm very grateful for our sweet pooch who keeps me company.

I hope all is well on the home front.

Until next week,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment