Monday, April 29, 2013

Cold Mountain

It's been forever since I've posted about a book.

And I'll admit this first thing:  I didn't even finish this one.  I kept feeling like I needed to take notes. Charles Frazier is brilliant and his writing dense (there is a reason he won the National Book Award) and I couldn't read his story without wanting to dissect and analyze it to pieces.  Since my purpose was to have a book to somewhat "fall" into between shifts at work and it is impossible to simply fall into Cold Mountain, I found myself avoiding reading altogether.  I refused to lower my self-expectations to discover every intricacy Frazier wove into the book, but I couldn't muster the time or energy to meet those expectations.  So, untrue to myself, I stopped reading and turned to Sparknotes.

Since the ending turns out to be dreadfully disappointing, I'm glad I did.

I may be way off on this, but some segments of Cold Mountain involving Inman's trek home reminded me of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying.  However, it's been a while since I read that little dreary piece, so forgive any ignorance.

Anyway, I'm still adding Cold Mountain to my list of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment