Thursday, April 3, 2014

{Dear Martha Anne} Here's to Health

Dear Martha Anne,

Today was a day that I loved running.

It's an on and off relationship.  Some days, I grit my teeth and glare at my feet and hate the thing so, so much.

And some days, I have a big goofy grin on my face and my arms are flailing and Chariots of Fire is blasting from somewhere behind me.

Today, I had no Chariots of Fire.  In fact, I was still stuck inside on a treadmill, even though by now it should be warm enough to run outside.  But for some reason, I loved every step I took on that spinning belt.  I loved feeling my heart pump, my hamstrings stretch, my feet kick up behind me, my arms flex with every swing.  I felt very alive, and very healthy.  That is a great feeling.

I've spent my fair share of time in physical therapy over the years--tendinitis here, out of place rib there, muscle tension all over.  I know what it is to have every step, every single move shoot pain through my spine, or through my hips.  I'm just prone to injury that way.  Chiropractors, physical therapists, and masseuses either really love or really hate my body.  I've had plenty of mornings where I've felt 80 years old.

But it is what it is, and as a result I feel extra grateful for days like today, when everything just feels good.

I hope you have such a day.  I hope my body carries me through for years to come, as it has for you.

Much love and health,

Kelsi

1 comment:

  1. This caused me some pondering. I have always been so admiring and a bit jealous of you for being able to exercise so frequently and vigorously. I didn't realize the struggle that it often is for you. Now my admiration grows even more. I love Chariots of Fire. I love that you are inspired by it. I love that you do hard things and keep smiling. I'm grateful for the days that you feel good. I love that you inspire me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete