Monday, January 27, 2014

{Recipe Share} That Fling...er...Sandwich I Told You About

For those of you who follow my Instagram you already got a sneak peak at the mouth watering sandwich I'm about to present.  Holy heaven it is good.  This is the kind of sandwich that actually has a recipe--in other words, a little prep time and cooking is involved before the actual "sandwiching" part.  I know, I know.  Some of you are thinking that this so called sandwich has now crossed the line.  It defies what as children we thought a sandwich should be--fast and easy with little prep and little clean up.  But let's face it, we've grown up.  Our sandwiches can now go beyond unscrewing a lid and wielding a butter knife.

And let me tell you, many a sandwich will ever only dream of being this good.  With just a little effort this baby makes the cut of amazing, high class sandwiches.  It's good enough to eat for dinner.

For the record, as a kid, by principle, I did not like sandwiches. "Don't mix my food" was my motto.  It wasn't until I worked at a restaurant that served beautiful sandwiches that I realized the potential of the various mixings between two slices of bread.  Especially when ciabatta and a griddle was involved.  I was introduced to some flavor combinations that just can't fail.  Spinach, artichoke, and cheese (preferably asiago) is one of those combinations.  When I stumbled on this sandwich I knew I had to try it.

I have now eaten this thing twice in less than 24 hours.


Notice the adorable dog?  He didn't get any...

I know, I know.  Enough talk.  Your mouth is drooling and I'm keeping you from your sandwich.  Here is the recipe.  Now go indulge.

Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Makes 2 sandwiches
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh spinach – enough for about 3 cups chopped
Canned artichoke hearts – about 3 (around 6 ounces)
2 tablespoons sour cream


1 cup shredded cheese (I used a mozzarella and swiss blend, but I wish I'd had asiago on hand; monterray jack would also be good)

4 pieces bread

Butter or olive oil for your bread


Dice the 2 cloves garlic. Chop the artichokes. Wash and stem the spinach, then chop it coarsely.  (I used my food processor but I suggest not letting your spinach leaves get too fine, as the recipe suggests.)
Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add the spinach and a pinch of kosher salt, and saute for a few minutes until just limp. Add the artichokes and saute for another minute or so, until heated through. Drain off any liquid from the pan. Stir in 2 tablespoons sour cream and another pinch of kosher salt.
Spread butter (or olive oil) on one side of each of the 4 bread pieces. Heat a panini griddle/griddle pan to medium high heat. Place 2 pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. On each piece, spread some shredded cheese, the spinach artichoke filling, some more cheese (1/2 cup cheese per sandwich), and the other piece of bread.  Cook until the cheese is melted, flipping the sandwich if necessary..

(Follow this link to view the recipe source)


Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so dang delicious! I've never done the blog thing until today, but your blog is fabulous! Trying to get my to look functional and also trying to figure out how to follow you!
    I'm trying this sandwich and I'm going to blog stalk you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heids!! You are the best. Thank you! Did you figure out how to follow? I need your blog address! Also, tell me what you think of the sandwich :)

      Delete